Author: Taylor Bathel
Think you need a sweet tooth to enjoy pumpkin season? Think again!
Pumpkin’s savory potential is often overshadowed by pumpkin spice seasoning, the cinnamon-nutmeg-ginger-sweet-and-spicy mixture found in pumpkin sweet treats. But, pumpkin is a squash, making it equally amenable to sweet and savory recipes!
Read on, #NoomNation, we’re here to hype up the savory side of pumpkin.
Reasons to enjoy pumpkin:
- Pumpkin is low in calories, rich in beta-carotene (an antioxidant your body converts to vitamin A), and a very good source of fiber.
- When pureed, pumpkin adds an indulgent, creamy consistency to dishes, making it perfect for sauces, soups and more.
- It’s affordable! A can of pureed pumpkin typically costs $1-2, and has 2-3 servings.
- It’s a little sweet, with about 4 grams of naturally-occurring sugar per half cup, making it kid-friendly.
Be mindful: Some pumpkin recipes you may find online can be a little heavy in cream, butter, and cheese. There is a time and place for this, of course! Though for an everyday meal, a few simple tricks can help you easily align recipes with your health goals:
Quick tips for healthify-ing pumpkin recipes:
- Reduce cream overall or substitute half (or more) with low-fat milk
- Opt for whole grains (i.e. brown rice, whole grain flour, whole grain pasta)
- Choose a lean meat (i.e. substitute ground turkey for ground beef)
- Forgo the extra toppings (ie. cheese, dried fruit)
- Enjoy mindfully, in moderation, and with portion control
Now for some yummy, healthy, savory ideas!
19 savory pumpkin recipes
Pumpkin main dishes
- Pumpkin Shepherd’s Pie
- Pumpkin, Chickpea and Red Lentil Curry
- Pumpkin and Black Bean Sliders
- Pumpkin Enchilada Sauce
- Pumpkin Risotto
Pumpkin side dishes