Eating a diet that meets all of your daily protein needs can boost your post-meal calorie burn by as much as 35 percent. No wonder people are turning to healthy chicken recipes for weight loss! In addition to being one of the more affordable proteins, chicken is a popular source of protein in healthy meal plans because of its low fat content. It can be used in a variety of ways to create filling meals that are low in calories and effective for long term weight loss.
So if you’ve been hunting for chicken recipes for weight loss, look no further. Here are five healthy chicken recipes you can regularly incorporate into your weight loss meal planning that are easy and fun to throw together. Use them for lunches and dinners any day of the week.
1. Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 cups de-skinned, shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups bottled salsa verde
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or other favorite
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes quartered
- Heat tortillas directly on burner or in a saute pan until pliable.
- Combine chicken and salsa in a large mixing bowl and divide among the tortillas.
- Top with shredded cheese, minced onion, and cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.
This dish serves eight and contains 354 calories per serving.
2. Chinese Chicken Salad
- 1 head napa cabbage, cored and sliced into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, sugar, or honey
- 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken (freshly grilled or from a store bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup clementine or mandarin oranges
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 pinch each of salt and pepper
- Toss cabbage strips in large bowl with the sugar.
- If you prefer the chicken to be warmed, heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds with a tablespoon of water or balsamic vinegar.
- Toss all ingredients together in the large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
This dish serves four and contains 380 calories per serving.
3. Spicy Thai Basil Chicken
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce and a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (Thai basil of available)
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet.
- When hot, add the onion, jalapeños, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring to keep the ingredients in motion.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. The meat will begin to brown.
- Add the sauces, sugar, and basil. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Serve over rice.
This dish serves four and contains 220 calories per serving.
4. Chipotle Honey Mustard Chicken Fingers
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chipotle spice mix
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place the egg whites in a shallow bowl.
- Place the crumbs on a plate and season them with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken tenders into the egg, then toss in the crumbs, being sure to coat fully.
- Place the breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crumbs have browned and the chicken is firm.
- Combine mustard, chipotle spice mix, and honey in a large bowl to make the sauce
- Toss the cooked chicken tenders in the mixture so they are evenly coated with the spicy-sweet sauce.
This dish serves four and contains 250 calories per serving.
5. Chicken Fajita Burritos
- 1⁄2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 poblano or green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 can black beans, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (10”)
- 1 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups shredded chicken (about half a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup tomato salsa or salsa verde
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and all of the peppers. Cook for about seven to eight minutes or until browned. Add salt and pepper.
- Combine the beans with the cumin in a saucepan. Warm through and keep on low, adding a teaspoon of water here and there to prevent them from drying out. Add the lime juice and a few shakes of hot sauce as well.
- Preheat a griddle, cast-iron skillet, or large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Preheat each tortilla for a few seconds (to make more pliable) before building each burrito.
- Sprinkle on some cheese, beans, onion-pepper mixture, chicken, and salsa per tortilla.
- Roll each into a burrito.
- Place each completed burrito on the skillet. Cook for a minute on each side to toast. Then serve.
This dish serves four and contains 375 calories per serving.
Chicken can be effective for your long term weight loss plan
Using healthy chicken breast recipes to lose weight—along with recipes that use store bought rotisserie chickens—will get you off to a good start with filling your protein requirements and simplifying meal preparation. However, to maintain any weight loss long term you need a sustainable weight loss program like Noom. We can give you the expert coaching, rich community support, and endless recipes you need to achieve your health dreams – and enjoy doing it.