Author: Mikayla Martinez
Raise your hand if you are a member of the “I’ll start again Monday” club (hi, hey, we’re totally guilty and raising our hands over here too!). See, we live in a world full of restriction and instant gratification and we treat our health the same way. We think that in order to be healthy we can never eat a piece of bread again, we must workout 15 times a day and if we don’t see results in five minutes we might as well throw in the towel, right? Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but seriously, this whole healthy lifestyle business is not an overnight thing.
We are human. Sometimes we are gonna skip a workout or five, we may indulge in a crab rangoon or ten, and we may drink far too many margaritas when the occasion arises. You know what though? That’s okay! We aren’t perfect, and it’s in those moments that you can work to find what balance and moderation could look like for you. Health is relative and looks different on everyone, so it is your job to figure out what it looks like on you.
While you’re finding your unique version of health though, in order to make this whole thing a little bit easier, here are 5 small changes to make to help you feel better this week, so you don’t have to wait until Monday to start.
- Drink a big glass of water before each meal or snack: A good way to incorporate more water throughout the day is to take advantage of something you already do regularly, like eat. If you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every day, that’s already 5 glasses of water.
- Add a side of fruits or veggies and eat those first: Fruits and veggies are packed with nutrients that our body needs to function optimally and they’re full of fiber. Not only does fiber keep your digestive system moving properly, it also helps you feel full longer, so there’s more veggie goodness and more balanced meals.
- Choose the whole food over its processed counterpart: For whatever reason, the less nutritious foods always seem to taste the best and be the cheapest (or at least that’s what we tell ourselves!), so often that’s the first thing we reach for. The thing is though, there is more often than not a more nutritious alternative to those snacks which can make a big difference in how you feel energy-wise. We’re all for balance, but we encourage you to swap out the oatmeal muffin for a bowl of oatmeal with fruit when possible. Your body will thank you!
- Trade your juice and soda for fruit-infused water: We all love our juice and soda fix sometimes, but to your surprise, you may be drinking your daily recommendations of sugar without even realizing it. Very few of us actually drink the 8 ounce serving size when we pour ourselves a glass, and multiple glasses a day could be the culprit to your lack of progress. Try swapping out your juices for cucumber water, mango water, or whatever fruit you like water. All you do is toss a few pieces of your favorite fruit into your water bottle and you have a nice refreshing drink that your body will be thrilled with.
- Move a little more throughout your day: Starting an entirely new workout routine can feel pretty daunting, especially when it’s been awhile since you last worked out. Lucky for all of us though, any movement counts. Walking, dancing, shopping, cleaning up your house even, are all forms of exercise! Adding in a few bouts of movement throughout your day without changing much else can make a huge difference in how you feel, without the stress of building a whole new routine. Some other ideas include parking farther away from the store, using the stairs instead of the elevator, or taking a five minute break from work to walk around the office, or even just standing for a bit while working. Anything you enjoy or feels doable all adds up big!
We can all agree that changing your entire lifestyle can feel really overwhelming. Lucky for you though, this journey doesn’t have to be an entire overhaul all at once. The best way to change your habits is through small adjustments that you work at every single day. All of the above steps are small tweaks you can make daily that will add up big this week, and every week following. If you’re feeling inspired by these small changes and want even more help working on your habits and health, let Noom take the journey with you!