Author: Mikayla Martinez
It can be so easy to fall into the thought distortion that you don’t have the time or the money to practice self care. So much of prioritizing yourself has been glamorized by the media that it can often feel like the accessibility of taking care of one’s needs and “treating yo’ self” is limited to those who have the money to spend big on manicures, spa days and fancy health products. The world has made self care into a practice that feels like it must look a certain way for it to be effective, but To step your self caring game up a notch, here are 21 self care practices to try that are absolutely free, but will still have you feeling like a million bucks when you’re done!
- Take a deep breath: I know this sounds like a ridiculous form of self care, but hear us out. In the midst of stress or anxiety, taking big deep breaths will aid in slowing down your heart rate and physically relaxing your body. Next time you’re feeling overwhelmed give yourself space to take a few deep breaths and you will instantly feel a little better.
- Move your body: Check out YouTube, your favorite workout app, a group exercise class at your gym, your Noom course, or whatever other movement feels good to you!
- Get a new book (at your local library!) and give yourself 20 minutes of quiet time to read
- Take a nice warm bath or a hot shower: throw in some essential oils or bath salts if you’re feeling fancy
- Try out a DIY face mask and binge watch your favorite Netflix Show
- Give yourself an at home pedicure: Fill up your tub, or a bucket of warm water and soak your feet for 20 minutes. Leave it at that or finish it off with a foot scrub and a fresh coat of toenail polish.
- Find a beautiful trail and go for a walk
- Create something: Paint, write, cook, knit, color, draw, make a song, play an instrument, sew, or whatever is more your style. Get those creative juices flowing and make something new today.
- Walk around your local farmers market or explore a new area of your city
- Cozy up with a warm cup of coffee or tea
- Listen to your favorite playlist
- Take a nap in the middle of the day
- Write a “done” list and celebrate your accomplishments
- Put on your comfiest clothes and meditate
- Eat something green (or a veggie!)
- Drink your water and maybe even get fancy and add your favorite fruit
- Call or video chat a friend to take some time to catch up
- Enjoy your breakfast and coffee in bed
- Sit in the sun
- Make a list of all the things your grateful for
- Give yourself permission to do nothing! Easier said than done, we know. Start by scheduling a “nothingness” slot into your day, even just if for 10 minutes!
Whether you’re 18 or 98, rolling in the dough or on a tight budget, prioritizing yourself is an immeasurably important practice for both your physical and mental wellbeing. Self-care can be whatever you make it as long as it fills up your cup and makes you feel good. So, the next time you’re feeling like you’re running on E, or just have a little extra time for yourself, give some of these practices a try.
If afterwards you feel like a million bucks and want to take your self care to the next level, let Noom help!